Custom Search

Monday, August 3, 2009

Running? What running?

After starting the week off with an amazing 45 mile bike ride in the Cape, I've done zilch for cardio last week. Disgusting. I need to work on that. Here's the breakdown:

Sunday: Cape Cod Rail Trail (Dennis to Wellfleet and back - 45.0 miles)
Monday: Full body with light weights
Tuesday: None
Wednesday: Shoulders/triceps/biceps
Thursday: None
Friday: None
Saturday: Pushups/pullups, heavy weights, pushups/chinups

The whole week was out of wack. I usually start the week with a high rep chest/back/ab session on Sundays, but the bike ride pushed that off. I wound up doing some light weight workout with very little rest instead on Monday. It was a great workout in that I was always moving. I fit in the rest of the weights workout, but I never put on my running shoes.

One thing I did manage to do was to get into REI and buy some parts for my bike. I bought some L-shape bar ends and bar tape. I didn't buy the tires right away, so I only have the bar ends installed at the moment. I picked up the tires on Saturday, and they are sitting in my car now. After some thinking, I decided on a semi-slick tire, the Continental Travel Contact. They come in pretty much a MTB tire size, 26" x 1.75". It was either that tire or the Michelin City Tire, but that meant new tubes since the Michelins were thinner. The cost would've wound up being the same. Plus, the Michelins were meant to be more road-oriented, while the Continentals have knobs on the tire edge which gives me flexibility in terms of road-surfaces I can ride on. I'm pretty excited about the tires as some reviewers have said these tires alone increased their average speed from 4 - 7 mph. That's quite an increase! I'll try to post a pic up of my bike after I get these tires on.

Weight-wise, I'm returning back to my training weight. It's amazing how fast your weight returns to normal when you cut out drinking and junk food. I'm sure I'll be back on track when I put my cardio back it. I also made the decision to start going to the gym for my heavy workout. It only makes sense since a pushup for me is roughly 72% of my body weight. Why do my heavy workouts with 55 lb dumbbells, when I should be working on reaching my goal to bench press my full body weight?

I'm still taking stairs at work going up. I even made it a point to use the restroom on the first floor so I have an excuse to take the stairs back to the office. And when I refer to taking the stairs, I mean taking them at least two steps at a time. It gives me a good burn while simulating hiking up a mountain, which by the way I am very behind in. Those 48 mountains still loom over me.

Well, that's it for this update. Let's aim to run at least once this week. Oy.


Last weigh-in:
171.0 lb

No comments:

Post a Comment